Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Puppet Show

This 'n' that in the morning, then picked up Aline at quarter of two and we went to the "East Meets West" presentation at the library.  I'm not a fan of puppet shows ordinarily, but this was just superb.  The puppeteer, a Chinese woman who now lives in the U.S., skillfully manipulated a variety of puppets of different sizes and configurations, including a medieval princess, a Picasso-inspired person, two dogs, and a funny, pot-bellied creature.  There was no stage or puppet box; just a rectangle marked off with tape.  The puppeteer was clearly seen moving the puppets, but that didn't matter, as the movements were so true to life.  Children sat on the floor in front, adults on chairs behind, which worked out fine. 
The show finished with the puppeteer selecting children from the audience, having them hold up a big "dragon," then leading them in an exuberant prance as other children banged on drums and cymbals.  A wonderful way to spend the afternoon!
Aline had planned to take a bus to Dynasty Diner for dinner, which is near the Seaport where we rehearse, then go to rehearsal.  I had looked up a book which the Stafford Library had, so suggested she ride with me there, then I'd go to dinner with her.  She agreed enthusiastically, and that's what we did. 
Over a hamburger and a Heineken, A. pointed out something I hadn't even realized: that I appear very briefly (my whole part is brief, only nine lines) late in the second act, which was being rehearsed last night.  However, I was hot and sweaty, so decided to skip it.  We were about an hour early, so I did sit with Aline on the porch overlooking the Seaport just to chat.  When others started arriving, she went in and I went home after a pleasantly different day.
Having Aline and Betty for dinner and B. will stay overnight.  Guess I'd better figure out and buy something to serve.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...