Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Better

Okay, things are looking up.  Determined not to endure another lazing- around day, I did stuff.  To wit:  pared and cut up a crock pot full of yams, added a bit a orange juice and cinnamon, and left them to get slowly delicious.  Put in a load of whites and lights.  Watered plants outside and in and re-potted the spider plant, now maybe nearing its end.  (I had it in my office at Rider for at least five years and I retired twice that long ago.)  Thought I'd get a big fern to replace it, so drove to Produce Junction, first stopping at Canal's for wine.  However, P.J. had no ferns and, in fact, their plant/flower section was pretty well depleted (the place is so popular and the prices so low you have to get there when the stuff first comes in or you miss out).  However, I bought lettuce, tomatoes (mine are coming, but they're still green), Brussels sprouts, and broccoli.  Stopped at the cemetery to water--I'm afraid the plants at Jay's just never took--and also at Santori's to get fresh feta and a few other veggies.
Got home a bit before 2:00, the time designated for son Mike to Skype me.  He did and I had a wonderfully enjoyable virtual visit with my adorable granddaughters.  They had just gotten back from Barcelona.
Stayed on the computer after they said goodbye and a box came up telling me that darling daughter, Ellen, was on-line.  I impulsively Skyped her and had a nice chat with her, too.
Had the last of the chicken drumsticks for dinner, along with blueberries and Greek yogurt.  Showered and changed, then got to our first read-through at 7:00.  Desi is having surgery in September; I don't know why) and has been replaced by a guy named Fred, playing the boyfriend of the maid (Aline's role).  Met him and he's so nice and a good actor, too.
We did the whole thing and yes, it's going to be very funny.  Most of the players are excellent with the usual exception of one who plays all his parts  exactly the same way, as a kind of droll, folksy, Midwestern yokel, no matter how inappropriate for the role.  And the guy who plays an ethnic character is so completely and utterly over the top with the booming voice, the crude accent, the gigantic gestures--too much!  The part is very comic, but that doesn't mean it should be cartoonish and  just a modicum of subtlety would make it so much better.  On the other hand, he writes for one of the local papers and has done pieces on all our productions in the past, so is a great asset in the publicity department.
Erin, the girl who plays the love interest, is just superb.  So is Kathy D., who has the part I wanted.  Much as it pains me to admit it, she's very, very good as Grand Duchess Olga Katrina.  (I had acted with her in Steel Magnolias.)  However, her boyfriend is going to be played by Neil, who is certainly old enough to be her father--can't understand that.  For that matter, Ron, who plays Neil's father, may actually be younger than he is.  Oh, well, I hope they can put it over.
My own part is so extremely tiny, I've already memorized it.  However, it's a pretty meaty one and, as I've mentioned before, I'm just happy to be in the show. 
We rehearse the first act on Thursday, but since I'm only in the second, I don't have to go.  I may stop in for a bit, anyway, just because I want to be there.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...