Friday, July 06, 2012

Fun On The Beach

Another fun summer day.  Called sister Betty early on and was enthusiastically invited down--promptly accepted.  We decided I'd call wen I was on my way and meet either at her place or the beach. 
Did a wash and other this 'n' that, packed up what I needed (including beer in my new cooler), and left home about 11:00.  Went to the cemetery first--the flowers on Pat's grave look good, the ones on Jay's not so much.  Watered both heavily, then called to say I was on my way.
Trudged down to the Newport Avenue beach, as niece Carolyn and nephew Stephen and their families were renting Connie and Tom H.'s house while they were there.  Muckie and Matthew D. and his girlfriend joined us shortly. 
It was great fun with adults and children, ranging in age from 11-year-old Finn to three-month-old Amelia.  We stayed until about 4:00, then Betty,  For lunch, some of them went and got subs--I had a regular--and we ate on the beach, my beer shared around.*   I actually went in the water, which was heavenly even to me, although I'm not a beach person.  A bit before the others, Betty, Muckie, and I went back to the H.'s and sat on the porch and talked until we were joined by the rest of the gang.
For dinner, Katie had made a "southern boil"--I had forgotten she was from Texas--for the cookout they had all gone to on the fourth, and we had what was leftover of that, plus jambalaya and salad--delicious.
Said goodbye about 7:40; so sorry Wes and Stephen and their families are leaving tomorrow, but invited Carolyn, Dana, Finn, and Claire to come to my place for lunch and the pool on Sunday.  Will invite the northern couple, also.
* I know you're not allowed to have beer on the beach, but did it anyway. If Ventnor City wants to prosecute, they know where to find me.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...