Saturday, July 07, 2012

Fruit and Veggies

Suffered a tragedy early on:  As I often do, I made a salad in the morning to have ready in the refrig for lunch later and it occurred to me to add the two nice plump  peppers I had seen on my plant out back.  Went to get them and was horrified to discover they were no longer there.  Neither was an almost-ripe tomato I had noted before.  At first, I actually thought somebody had taken them, but then I saw the stems had been eaten clean off.
The little varmints!  After all the digging, feeding, and nurturing routine I had followed over the spring--!  (Well, I watered them, anyway.)  There seem to still be some flowers on the pepper plant and some green tomatoes clinging on, so I immediately sprayed all with deer and rabbit repellent; hope that will keep them away.  Must remember to wash before eating.
Drove to the cemetery and watered heavily the new plants on both graves.  Then went to Produce Junction and got veggies--plus, I couldn't resist another patio tomato plant, which I hope won't be enjoyed only by the critters.  Went to Santori's for veggies and fruit, then to Canal's for wine.  On the way home, stopped again to water at the cemetery.
After lunch--sans pepper, damn it--drove up to Manahawkin for supplies at Shop-Rite and Wal-Mart.  Had an almost-exclusively fruit dinner of blueberries and strawberries topped with plain Greek yogurt, plus the rest of the watermelon from Susan, and delicious cherries.
Must take my car to Mastercraft, as the "hot" light keeps coming on. 
 

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...