Thursday, April 06, 2017

BCNN And Paprika

Got to the BCNN meeting early, as usual. The spread was somewhat sparse and there were a lot of cookies and other sweet stuff, which I dislike in the morning. Just had a large strawberry and some grapes.
The program consisted of the five women in the poetry club reading their "poems." These were--and always are, I've heard this group before--actually run-on memoirs, but just gussied up a bit and called poetry. None of theirs ever rhyme and they're all in the stream-of-consciousness mode which, to be effective, must be done by experts, I think, and these ain't them. I more or less agree with David Frost's remark that "writing poetry without rhyme is like playing tennis without a net." Oh, there are exceptions, such as Whitman and some Sandburg, but they're few and far between and these women, earnest--in fact, somber--as they are, hardly qualify. So it was a huge bore, I'm afraid. I guess I've been spoiled by Yeats and Emily D.
There was a hat contest, too, plus a clothing exchange. Boy, there was some nice stuff, but most were in small sizes. I just picked up a necklace and a scarf. I sat with Doris, Sue, and Sherry--gave her the big Legos, the last of the toys I had gotten for Mr. K., for her grandson. It wasn't over until close to 11:30, so I had a (very) late breakfast. Skipped lunch, then went for my eye appointment, set for 1:45. I didn't get out of there until 3:30, but there seems no problem with my vision and I don't have to see him again for a year.
I had read about how tasty a seasoning smoked paprika is, so I went over to Trader Joe's and got some (I'm an easy sell). I was only 4:30 when I left and I wanted to stay out longer, so I drove over to the park. I surprised myself by Walking Kimbell, the full mile and a half, which I haven't done for months. Felt good and when I got home, it was time to start dinner. I put some of the roasted paprika on my chicken and spaghetti squash, but it didn't seem that great. Next time I have fish, I'll see if it's more effective in cooking.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...