Saturday, September 17, 2016

Politics and Packing

I didn't walk, but did go to T.O.P.S. Stayed about the same, which is what I expected. Again, chatter absolutely unrelated to weight loss started up--grr! After the meeting, though, Lenny (I can't remember her real name), Louisa, and I stood in the parking lot for a good 45 minutes talking politics. Lenny's husband is pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church here in town. She's a really nice person whom I like a lot, not at all dogmatic. Louisa calls herself "liberal" and had all kinds of aspersions to throw at Trump. She assumed, she said, that I was for Sanders. (Imagine a deep sigh on my part.) I said no, I'm a pacifist, and I resolved some time ago never again to vote in a federal election. Great consternation from Louisa, who spouted the usual cliches and honest puzzlement from Lenny, who brought up the lesser evil thing re Clinton. However, we actually had a pretty good discussion, notwithstanding that they're both religious, Lenny seeming to lean more toward Jesus-the-Peacemaker than the mighty Lord God Jehovah. It's refreshing to be able to talk with people whose ideas--and ideals--are very most opposed to yours, yet be able to do so civilly and with respect. They have the right to their beliefs as much as I do.
Anyhoo, that was the high point of the day, the rest being all packing and transporting. Didn't have breakfast until almost 11:00, then packed up items in both cart and hand truck and trekked over to VDS. I got some of the stuff put away so the movers will have room for the furniture, and El and I will continue to bring stuff in tomorrow.
Called Ryan H., the picture hanger, and sparred with him a bit over taking them down and installing at the new place. We settled on $200 (which is fifty bucks more than they cost me, but let's not go there) and he'll be over on Tuesday to get them.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...