Thursday, August 04, 2016

Lots of Goings On

A busy and interesting day. Got to the BCNN breakfast at 9:30 to find Carole, Doris, and Sue already there. They had saved a place for me and a woman named Sherry sat down with us. She seems an interesting person, has a graduate degree from a midwestern university, and we exchanged cards. Maybe we'll get together sometime.
The program had been billed as a talk by Steve, the director of SCAN, whom I've gotten to know and who is the one of the biggest stuffed in the stratosphere. Happily, he reneged at the last minute, we were told, and a rep form "Disaster Dogs" filled in.
Now, as everyone who knows me knows, I'm no animal lover, but this was actually pretty interesting. There's a place in Wheeler Canyon, not far from here, that's dedicated to training dogs to search out people who may be buried in rubble after a disaster of some kind. The talk included a video that showed some teams went to Japan after the devastating tsunami. The firefighters and dogs found several young girls under mountains of concrete, and saved them. They've been used in many disasters here, also, including Hurricane Katrina and the Oklahoma bombing.
After, Carole, Doris, and I went to the Adult Center for the three dollar lunch. Enjoyed it and met several new people. We discovered that the article on my acting class and me was in The Ventura Breeze of yesterday, and I picked up a few copies.
Back at my complex, I parked the car, then took the sweater Jennifer had left to her apartment. She answered the doorbell, took the sweater, then asked me in, but I told her I didn't have time. I'm determined to abort this relationship before it gets harder to extricate myself, especially because when I got home, I found a phone message from Jennifer. In her disjointed fashion, she said she thought she had broken her wrist--what ?--and please call me, sweetie. No, honey, I won't.
Called Ellen and asked if she wanted to go to the pool. Why, yes, she would, and I changed, then went over to her place. We first sat and chatted over yummy Margaritas, then had a lovely swim. When the air got a little cooler, we enjoyed an even lovelier soak in the bubbling spa.
How about dinner, asked El; well, sure, sez I, and we went to the Hill Street Cafe. I had liver and onions--I may be the only person left on the planet who loves them (El turned up her nose)--and a cold beer. (That totalled more alcohol than I usually have in a week.) Anyway, we had a fine time discussing the political circus.
Didn't get home until almost 7:30, did my usual before bed, and slept like a stone.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...