Sunday, March 06, 2016

Tax and My Jewel Box

Assembled and e-mailed the thrift store info to Michelle. She wrote back thanking me and saying she could file the fed and state (California) returns electronically, but had to send the Jersey one by mail. I'm getting a refund, happily, although not as much as I did last time, presumably because I now have rental income. I'm even getting a refund from my adopted state for some reason, but it's a wash with Jersey. Michelle's fee was very fair, I think, certainly better than I would have paid the ones who advertise. All this took longer than one might think, as I also cleaned up a bit more financial stuff.
El had texted me on Friday to see if Carolyn and Dana were coming yesterday for the chair. Called Carolyn, but she said it was raining there and could they come tomorrow (which is now today, Sunday) about two? Fine by me, fine by Ellen and I hope the rain stays away.
Fooled around a bit on the computer, had lunch, then drove into town. Dropped a book (about the Kitty Genovese murder, which I had finished) off, then picked up one on Princess Diana by her secretary and one by Barbara E., who wrote Nickel and Dimed. I read that years ago; it's a chronicle on how the lower-middle and lower classes (geez--talk about snob talk!) are systematically screwed by the whore politicians and the system they set up for the purpose. Anyway, this one is called Living With A Wild God, A Nonbeliever's Search For The Truth About Everything. Sounds intriguing to this fellow-traveler.
For the first time in an age, I had a sandwich for lunch. I usually eat bread only at breakfast (one slice with cottage cheese) and have salad and other items for lunch. It tasted good, but I don't want to get in the habit.
Went to WinCo and got lots of things I like, still enjoying buying new instead of the eating down thing.
Wonder of wonders, I got a call in the evening from a guy who wants to buy my jewel box. I had put it on Craigs List weeks ago and since nobody bit, I was going to sell it at Ellen's yard sale. I told the guy (who said he collects boxes) I can meet him at the bank this afternoon.

No comments:

Simply Spendid Sunday

I bused to Ojai and got there at 11:00. We waited until Ellen "did" her hair--which means using a kind of revolving brush/dryer to...