Sunday, December 25, 2005

Went to supermarket at 7 am yesterday, then Ellen and I spent several hours cooking: two kinds of stuffing, pumpkin pie, and smashed taters, to get as much as possible done for today. We then rushed out to get heavy cream and tour Port Republic, a charming little town nearby. I was amused when we stopped for gas and Ellen unhooked her seat belt to get out. "We live in a civilized state," I said, "We don't deliver our own babies and we don't pump our own gas."
Ellen took us out for dinner last night, which we greatly enjoyed, then she and I walked around Sunrise Bay to look at the lights. What a joy to have her here.
Being the organizational type (read that "compulsive"), I wrote out a schedule for what I have to do today (iron napkins, stuff turkey, etc.) and what time everything has to be in the oven. Am having dinner at 4:00 (long story why, but wish it were later) and some of our company (Alison, Mike, Joel, Jen, and Joely) will come early to exhange gifts first, some (Mike's brothers, Brent's partner, cousin John) later. Will record festivities on new digital camera.
Oh yeah, the food part: I had meatloaf at the restaurant, along with a light beer, but yes, indulged in ice cream and cake at home. Am not counting as this point, but at least am acknowledging.
Must now plunge into the day's pleasant duties: Setting the table, stuffing the bird, checking for last minute items. The work is a joy, the house looks lovely, and I'm looking forward to the day. Cliche though it is, I must say it: I love Christmas.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...