Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Monday

 I didn't do a whole heck of a lot in the early part of the day; just cleaned up a bit after breakfast. I had finished Later over breakfast; after, I looked over El's and Greg's bookcases and selected Lolita, which I haven't read for decades. I sat out in Ellen's backyard/patio reading it, in the glorious sunshine. Nabokov was just the best, the top of the line, when it came to writing. 

Had the rest of my salad for lunch, then was kind of at loose ends. I actually turned on the television and saw an hour of Vertigo. It's 63 years old and boy, does it show it. Jimmy Stewart is pretty good in it and Barbara Del  Geddes excellent. I don't know who Kim Novak was sleeping with (certainly not Hitchcock, if I understand his orientation), but her performance was so-o-o wooden, her gestures so exaggerated, and her accent so contrived, it was a chore to witness her performance. The real star was San Francisco, which I loved seeing. 

My girl, Ellen, blew in about 4:30 and it was so good to see her. She settled back in, putting things away nd doing a wash, then off we went to dinner. El treated me at Sea Fresh, where we sat outside and  enjoyed Margaritas and mango shrimp, plus a shared brownie/ice cream dessert. Home, I watched the rest of Vertigo. Novak's acting improved when she played the second character, but the story line itself, especially the ending, was full of holes. 

My last day in Ojai--I've had a good time and enjoyed it as a little semi-vacation.    

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...