Monday, May 03, 2021

Lunch With Noreen

A pleasant and interesting day. I called Noreen and asked if she was available for lunch. Yes, indeed, and she'll pick me up. (She lives in west Ventura, which isn't far from Ojai.)

After breakfast, I decided to walk to Von's for a few things I needed wanted. On the way, I passed The Artesian, an independent living place, which is quite new. In fact, only a few years ago, shortly after I moved here, I attended a free "learn about the facility and we hope you move here when it's built" luncheon. These come-ons are pretty common and I've been to many, but why not? I always enjoy eating out and the presentations aren't too tedious.

Anyway, a resident standing near the gate and I said "good morning." She replied, then asked if she could ask me a question. She wanted to know what had replaced some store or other nearby. Of course, I didn't know, don't live in Ojai, and we struck up a conversation. Clara (I think she said her last name was Didwitty or Dunwiddy) then proceeded to tell me her life's history: arranged marriage, later divorced, second husband was an intellectual giant, she's 92, got a million and a half for her house in Ojai, she loves the Artesian, and so on and on. Anyway, it occurred to me that this might an "in" to renew my acting course. We talked and she said she'd love to have me visit. Okay, and I gave her my card. She said she's going to call me. 

Noreen picked me up at 1:00 and I told her I'd leave it to her where we'd eat. She took me to something that started with a "C," but it was jammed, inside and out, and there was a 40-minute wait. We then tried M'Marco's, where I've eaten before and like a lot. It was closed, I hope not for good. So how about Sea Fresh, one of my favorites? We  didn't even park, it was so crowded. Japanese, maybe? That was closed, too. We finally settled on a small Mexican place and it was really good. We sat outside, had enchiladas, rice and beans, Noreen a glass of wine, me a Corona. We had a great time talking, then she dropped me off about 3:30.

I did some sweeping of the porch and back patio, just for a little help to El. She called and we talked for a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing them back here about 4:00 or so.    


No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...