Sunday, May 02, 2021

Lunch With Jim

 Did the usual morning stuff. Mary Hoffman called about 10:00 and we had a good talk. I then checked the bus schedule; decided on the 11:21, which got me to the transit center at 12:17, where Jim was waiting to pick me up. I asked if he'd take me to my apartment first, as I wanted to get a few more items. He did, then we headed to Jasmine Thai, where I treated Jim to a birthday lunch.

I had the pad Thai, Jim the curry something and brown rice. He had a glass of wine and I was sorely tempted. However, I resisted and got the good Thai Singha beer. I have avoided wine for some time now, as I tend to drink it too fast and then it's all gone. So I have another. And then that's all gone. So I have...yeah.

Anyhow, it was good. Jim wanted to see the little lending library I often mention, so we did. I got a book to add to the ten or so I haven't read yet and Jim took a bio of Tennessee Williams. I was amused, then he was, when I told him I had donated it myself a few months ago. Jim wanted to show me another L.L.L. in the park on Foothill Road, the one with prominently posted  "Beware of Rattlesnakes" signs--aagh! We drove in, but library doesn't seem to be there anymore. 

Friend Jim then surprised me no end by driving to his place. I've known him for roughly four years and we've seen each other virtually every week for the past two, but he has never invited me there. This time, he didn't "invite me," either--just drove there. For  the last several years, when we had lunch together, we always met at my apartment complex and ate either in the open or in my apartment, so this was a first.      

Anyway, the basic apartment is one I'd love to have myself, a major point being that it has two bedrooms. I'd kill for another bedroom, where I'd keep my laptop, printer, and filing cabinet. I didn't ask to see them, but maybe eventually, I will. As for décor, it was typical old bachelor: a retro mess.

I had mentioned to Jim how much I like the Sunday crossword in the Ventura Star and he said the free paper has one, too. He actually picked it up and started asking me to answer the clues. I did most of them, as it was on a third-grade level, it seemed to me. 

When we were almost finished, I asked Jim what time it was, he looked at his watch (yes, he still wears one) and said, "3:50," he said. Oh, no--the Ojai bus left at 3:54 and I'd have to wait an hour for the next one! I grabbed my things, we rushed out to his car, and he got me there just as the 16 was pulling away. Happily, the driver stopped and let me board. Got to Ojai in time for the Ojai Trolley to take me most of the way to El's, so I didn't have to walk. 

Talked to El and Greg later and am looking forward to seeing them tomorrow.

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...