Monday, October 21, 2019

Beans And The Brits

After my usual Sunday morning, I walked over to Von's for Romaine and onions. Shredded the latter and added them to my beans, which I had soaked in water overnight. Along with chicken broth (bought, but I'll make my own one of these days) and the saved "juice'" from cooking asparagus,* plus some seasonings, I put it in the slow cooker.  Had lunch, then left for the bus to Oxnard.
Stopped at Target there and, happy day, they had blueberries. I bought three 18-ounce containers, then stopped into see if Greg was working. He was and it was a pleasure to see him. I'm always so pleased that he gives me a hug when I come in. Just chatted with him for a bit, then walked back to the bus stop. I decided to stay on until we got to a store I knew has good and inexpensive grapes (jeez, this is California, they practically grow wild, so I'm not paying $4.99 a pound at Von's). Got off there, got my grapes, then bused home. At the door, I was greeted by the lovely aroma of the delectable black beans, which had simmered away all afternoon. Yummy, yum, and I have enough for several servings.
More of the Brits: I enjoyed the second episode of Downton Abbey, then turned in. I'll see Nancy tonight and tell her how much I appreciate the loan.
Yesterday was the first day in a full week I didn't go out for either lunch or dinner--heavens, I must be losing my touch. No fear, I'll attend the widder dinner tonight.
* For years, I've been saving the cooking water from vegetables to use in soups and other dishes. I understand a large percentage of the vitamins and minerals get leached out when they're cooked and this way, you eventually get the benefit. If I don't have plans to use it within a day or two, I freeze it.   

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...