Friday, October 18, 2019

Carless

I sold my car.
The rep from SHIFT came at 10:00 and drove the little red beauty out of my life ninety minutes later.
I actually would have settled for less than I got, so I'm satisfied. The car loan is paid off and the rest of the payment was electronically sent to my bank account. In fact, almost the whole transaction was done electronically.
I informed my children via e-mail of the sale and received congratulatory messages back from both my sons, then phone calls expressing the same from both daughters. Ellen called in the evening and we had a long, long talk; it was so good to hear of her teaching experiences. She's coming over sometime this weekend to hook up my new Blu-Ray player.
After the car drove away, I walked to the P.O. to mail Halloween cards to the kiddies. Back, had lunch, then took off--by bus, of course--to town. Strolled here and there until it was time to meet Nancy and Carolyn for Happy Hour at Lemon y sal. We enjoyed ourselves, as ever, and have decided that, because we go the Soaring Spirits (the widder group) twice a month, we  would switch Happy Hour to lunch on alternate weeks. Works better that way for all three.
After I left the other two, I went over to the library and took out a book.  Home, I rang Suzanne's bell and stopped in to tell her about the car. We discussed the sale of the complex, too.
I always have the option, I know, to buy some kind of junker, pay cash, then insure it for only the legal minimum. I'm thinking about that, but at this point, I'm just going to let the dust settle.
Called Cheryl, who will pick me up for T.O.P.S. this morning.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I bet it was sad...part of your life....having your own car...it happens to most of us. It is just so good you made the move to CA. Imagine no car in NJ. The bus service you use sounds wonderful. Then again, maybe you will get a 'junker'...it's an option, but if I were you, I'd stick with that wonderful Ventura public transportation. I wish we had it here.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat; it was good to read that. And, most likely, I won't buy another car. I just have to get used to taking longer to get places. In a way, it's kind of a relief. I don't have to worry about traffic, running out of gas (not that I ever did), and so on. Of course, the climate here makes it a breeze to walk places, and that's a big asset. The fact that it was ultimately my decision and not the law's, helps, too.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...