Friday, October 25, 2019

WinCo And So On

Suzanne rang my bell while I was just finishing breakfast, to ask if I wanted to go to WinCo.  Yes, indeedy, and we did. I got a good supply of all kinds of things that are heavy, such as salad dressing (I got four bottles), frozen fajitas, and spaghetti squash, plus plenty of other staples that would have been difficult to take on the bus. Suzanne asked about the stain on my living room ceiling and I told her nobody had been over to look at it yet. That prompted me to remind them at office. Shortly after, Javier came, looked at it, then got his step stool to see if it was wet. It wasn't, so what they'll do about it, I don't know and I'm not that concerned about it, anyway.
Heard back from Nance and we'll go on Tuesday to see the new Linda Ronstadt movie, then have our Chardonnay and munchies at The Cave.
After lunch, I decided to go to Sprouts, as I knew they had wild-caught salmon on sale. I've walked that far several times (about 2.5 miles), but it was so incredibly hot, I thought it would be foolhardy, so took the bus (four buses, actually, two there and two back). I also picked up the new Dionne quintuplet book at Barnes & Noble in the same shopping center.
Home, I changed into my bathing suit and went to the pool. I was annoyed that five guys--not kids, but probably early twenties--were tossing two footballs back and forth in the pool. I went in, but just splashed around for ten minutes in the low end, then left. I wish I had gone before lunch when Suzanne did. Walked over to Von's for diet 7UP, which I drink occasionally; eight small bottles should last me for two months or so.


2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Lugging heavy items is a problem even with my car. I live on the 4th floor so I use Amazon, CVS, Target etc to have them delivered. I now order online most of my large/heavy items. Check it out.

BTW, I know you have a super good transportation system but for those times when a bus isn't enough, have you used UBER? Gogograndparent.com is available in CA...not here. I like them because they check out the drivers...yes, they use Uber and Lyft, but it's a little more protection. You can register with them and they even carry your packages to your door. Hey, it may cost a bit more but at this point in our lives...we deserve it. Besides with all that money you made on your car sale, you can take lots of gogograndparent rides. Let me know what you think?

Mimi said...

Pat, I actually don't lug heavy items. A few times, I've taken the bus to WinCo, but I've taken my small pull-cart for what I buy. (I have a larger one I use for the laundry.) I order things on-line once in a while, too, but haven't needed anything from there recently.
As for transportation, yes, I know about Gogograndma, or whatever it is, but have never had occasion to use it. Maybe someday I will, but for now, I'm happy with my modes of transportation, which, in strongly preferred order, are:
1. Walking
2. the city bus
3. the Access Van, which is for those over 65 and the disabled
4. In a real pinch, I might take Uber, Lyft, or the Gogo thing; haven't yet had to.
(Of course, there are friends and family, too, but that's more sporadic.)
I'm not really concerned about the cost or worried about the drivers; to me, walking is not just an unpleasant necessity, but a positive and enjoyable good. I know some people my age have physical difficulties that hinder exercise, but I don't (I know I'm lucky). I have other friends, some much younger than I am, who are not at all infirm, bu who wouldn't dream of walking so much as a mile.
I feel healthy and vigorous pretty consistently and I credit walking with a big part of that (the 52 pounds off didn't hurt, either).
I'll let you know my experience if and when I use the Gogograndma (odious name) and, as with the Access Van, it's good to know it's available, but as a last resort, natch.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...