Friday, October 04, 2019

Downtown Abbey And Open Mic

After an annoying start to the day--I rushed back to Office Max because my keyboard didn't seem to be working--things started looking up later.  Laura fixed the laptop (my mistake, as usual) and now it's fine and dandy.  I barely had time to plug it in again be.fore I rushed off to the bus to meet Nancy.
Got there just in time and we went into the Midtown to see Downton Abbey
Being a sucker for the Brits and that era period piece, I loved it. So did Nancy, but she has the whole television series which--happy day--she's going to lend me. She'll bring it to the widder lunch on Monday. However, my DVD player won't take Blu Ray, so I'll have to buy a new one.
We had lunch at Dargan's nearby--my potato and leek soup and Caesar salad were very tasty. as was. naturally, the Shock Top (beer) I had with it. We had a good long talk, Nancy recounting stories about her parents, both of whom were married three times; they split up when she was four. We said goodbye and I hopped on the bus for home--just didn't feel like walking in town. About 6:00, I took another bus right back to town to the Open Mic Poetry Group.
I was ambivalent about this, debating with myself back and forth whether to go or not. It was already dusk when I left and by the time I arrived, it was full dark. I had requested the Access Van to pick me up at 9:00, but I could have cancelled.
I'm glad I didn't. I got there and this time, introduced myself to people, including Sandra, Jennifer, Brad, Ellen from Malibu, Myron, and leader Phil. Myron, a psychiatrist, did the program, a nice presentation with power point and his wife, Anita, read a funny verse. I recited one of my cheery little poems on death and presented the idea of doing my rhyming couplet piece, "Hell On Wheels" next week.  Got five volunteers for the cast and will email them the script.
I want to list the cast here, so I have a recorder:
The devil: John
Women: Jennifer
              Anita
              Amy
Husband: Phil
Didn't get to bed until after 10:00, late for me.


2 comments:

iloveac said...

You're in for a treat with the entire series of 'Downton Abbey'.

Have you written any short...20- 30 minute plays about Christmas. Next year I'd love for us to do one of yours if you have one. I have one from Pioneer Drama for this year. Just a thought.

Mimi said...

Pat, that's an intriguing suggestion. I'll have to look up my stuff to see if I've written any about Christmas. Will check and see. However, my plays are almost all short one-acts, so I may not have any that long. Will let you know.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...