Sunday, October 27, 2019

Egyptian Antiquity

 20191026_105258.jpg (I have no idea why the layout is so screwed up, but I can't seem to fix it.)




20191026_123753.jpg

Interesting day. Suzanne and I left for the Reagan Library at 9:00 and got there just as it opened at 10:00. Happily, it wasn't at all crowded, maybe because people were apprehensive about the fires.
Anyway, it was a terrific experience. Most of the artifacts were found under the sea, either recently or years ago and they were mainly of, or about, the gods popular at the time. I was struck by the fact that their beliefs so closely preceded those of Christianity These included the "one god" concept (although there were other supernatural creatures), the idea of life after death, and of a holy person rising from the dead, along with other similarities. Since these came years before Christ, it's assumed his followers absorbed some of these
We also enjoyed lunch on the patio overlooking the beautiful Simi Valley.  The weather was ideal; about 70, sunny, and with a gentle breeze, quite a contrast to the former hot, with fierce winds. I bought two postcards to send the grandchildren before we left.
We got home about 2:30 and I immediately took off for town. It was bustling, with kids in costume (I think the merchants on Main Street were giving out treats), parents, and young people, all in a festive mood.  It felt so good to take my library to museum and back again walk--about three miles, I guess, and I stopped into various stores. Picked up a purse at one of the thrift stores and some Dudley House Christmas cards at another. I don't think they make them anymore and, since I docent there, I thought I'd like to send some out.
I then stopped into the library and started reading a new book called The Great Successor about the North Korea leader, Kim Jong Un. I found it so absorbing, I took it out and will continue to read. I  ran into Ben (from Fractured Actors) in the library and to Stella in one of the thrift stores.
Left town about 5:00 and bused home after a very pleasant day.

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...