Sunday, October 13, 2019

CeCe And MeMe (Heh, heh)

I spent the morning researching Anna Deavere Smith, whose monologue Cece is reading for Toastmasters.
Got an unwelcome call from SHIFT, the outfit which presumably is buying my car, asking for all kinds of information I had already put on-line. However, after this and that, it was resolved and they should be coming on Thursday.
Left at 11:00 to meet CeCe at the Hill Street branch of the library. I went "the back way" via the footbridge over the freeway, and enjoyed it. Got there a half-hour early and sat down to read a bit and wait for CeCe. After a few minutes, I heard someone say, "Rosemary!" It was Gail Metcalf, whom I had met on the bus to Santa Barbara. We had lost touch with each other, but happily reunited. Impulsively, I asked if she'd like to go with me to "Rumors," which Fractured Actors are doing on November 8.  I was pleased when she said yes. This will let Ellen off the hook, whom I knew really didn't want to go, plus I like Gail, one of my younger friends (she's 69). We sat and talked until CeCe arrived and I told Gail I'd call her.
CeCe had thought she had reserved a private room for noon, but there was some mix-up and we had to wait for a half hour. In the meantime, we started discussing the monodrama she wanted help with; we talked on the terrace, then finally got into the room.
CeCe isn't bad, although as many do, she tends to read in a steady, one-level tone. I made a number of suggestions, including varying emphasis with tone and inflection, and incorporating facial expressions, gestures, pauses, sighs, and so on. I mentioned that some props that would be useful, to add interest and take the audience deeper into the piece. My ideas seemed pretty obvious to me, but clearly, not to CeCe and she was very appreciative. We worked on it for almost two hours, then I suggested lunch and we went next door to the Hill Street Cafe. As we were leaving the library, I ran into Sherry, with whom I had been friends for a time, but we lost touch, also. (Unlike with Gail, in her case, I was glad to leave it at that.)
Since I was walking, I had a Corona with lunch. Cece had a plate of bacon--she's on the Keto diet-- and coffee. We had a good chat, then she dropped me off at the 99 Cent store, as I needed plastic wrap. I could have taken a bus home, but walked.
Called Ellen and we chatted about her class, which is so much better than last year's. By then, it was 4:30 and oddly, I was tired. I actually lay down and took an hour nap; felt refreshed when I got up.

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...