Monday, October 14, 2019

Sunday

I walked the back footpath again, leaving early to get to the library before it closed at noon. Took out Jackie's Girl, by an Irish woman who had been Jackie Kennedy's "assistant" as a teenager. Dunno why, but I enjoy reading about the rich and famous. (Do they enjoy reading about me?)
On the way home, I impulsively stopped into The Capes at Ventura, an apartment complex on Hill Street. I told the nice young woman named Nicole on the desk I was scouting out places for my sister and asked to be shown some units. Hell, Nicole wasn't doing anything anyway on a poky Sunday morning; she was probably happy for the diversion.
Good grief, I can't believe the kind of money they're getting! I was shown a one-bedroom about half the size of mine and the rent was almost two thou plus electric, gas, and sewer. They also had a "junior" one bedroom, which was even smaller for about $1800, plus the utilities. Thanks, but no thanks.
I spent time after lunch on housework--well, I cleaned under the sink, anyway. Did some food prep--i.e. cored apples, added Splenda  and cinnamon, and put them in individual bowls so I can pop them in the microwave when I'm ready.
Suzanne texted me when she got into LAX at 1:00, then called when the shuttle was at Oxnard Airport, about twenty minutes away. I picked her up and heard all about her niece's wedding, held at a golf club in Scottsdale and officiated by the groom's sister, who has a divinity degree. What would the sisters at HSHS think about that?!
After seeing wedding pictures on Suzanne's phone, I walked over to Von's to get my new craze, Skinny Pop popcorn. The light kettle corn has only 35 calories a cup and the white cheddar only 43. Well, it's filling.
Niece Carolyn called to tell me Betty and my brother, Frank, are both going to his son, Patrick's* house for a visit in early November--on Patrick's dime, of course. He and his wife live in Baltimore and they have four children under about eight. Carolyn had suggested I might like to go and had told him she'd ask.
Uh, no, thanks. I greatly enjoy being with Betty when I go to see her in Santa Barbara and we have lunch, then go back to her place for an hour or so. However, I get antsy staying much longer. To spend two weeks and two days with her and my brother, who's in worse shape than she is, would be unbearable for me. I thanked Carolyn for thinking of me, but no, no, no.
*https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/profiles/results/directory/profile/0016558/patrick-byrne
(Patrick  looks a lot like my Dad.)

3 comments:

iloveac said...

I totally understand and would feel the same.
BTW, I see a big resemblance between you and Patrick. Those Byrne genes are definitely strong.

Very impressive bio. When I get my face redone ..I'm going to see him. Maybe when I'm 50 again.

Mimi said...

Yes, I do resemble the Irish side; Betty is more the German. Of course, Patrick's mother, Marybeth, was born and brought up in Ireland, so he's mostly pure, unlike half-breed me. Pat, was your mother also of Irish descent?

iloveac said...

RBM, according to 23andme I am 96.9% British & Irish....mostly Galway and Mayo which I've known all along.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...