Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The Bed And Mr. Bates

Stripped the bed and did a bleach wash with the sheets and other whites. I had the load washed, dried, folded, and put away before 9:00 am. Did some computer stuff, then worked on my play, Acquisitions for a bit. I must discipline myself to write for at least an hour every day (creative writing, that is, not email or this pokey blog).
After lunch, I walked to the post office to mail some stuff, then took off for town. Got off at the library, walked back on Main, then looped around. I made the mistake of stopping into two thrift stores--my usuals, Goodwill and The Coalition--and bought a jacket and a small bathroom rug. That meant I had to carry two fairly large bags, but I managed.
Got off at the transit center/mall and walked down to Target for blueberries. I looked at the grapes, but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $4.99 a pound for them; I really don't need them, anyway.
Home about 4:00 and emailed Nancy a reminder--she probably doesn't need it, but I do--about our movie and The Cave date today. Wrote her and Carolyn B. about tomorrow, when we're meeting for lunch at the new place, Peirano's.
I got a message back from Carolyn, worrying that it would be crowded. For Pete's sake! I called Peirano's to ask if they took lunch reservations; they don't, but the guy I talked to say there shouldn't be any problem. I wrote that back to Carolyn, copying Nancy. You'd think a 57-year-old woman might be able to pick up the phone and call herself, if she was worried about having to wait. If there was a long wait, we could simply go to one of the many good restaurants very close to Peirano's. Carolyn, though, seems unable to function as an adult. Her inner self is a helpless child, alone and afraid in a world she never made.
I'm usually more patient with Carolyn and at least, I didn't express my annoyance to her. Her outlook on life is so dark and her family life so odd--I'm always amazed at her peculiar relationship with her son and daughter--that I need to remember she's more pathetic than not. Also, she suffers from what I'm almost sure is early-onset Alzheimer's, considering the constant forgetfulness and other manifestations.
Got a call from my D.D. as she was driving home from school and we had a good long talk--hearing from her always makes my day.
Left the house and the country at 8:00 and transported myself to the Abbey, where I hovered for an hour in bliss. Oh, I do hope Mr. Bates returns to his true love!

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...