Thursday, October 17, 2019

Dudley House Potluck

Busy Lizzie am I. Got up at 6:00 and stripped the bed, then took the sheets and a load of whites to the laundry house. Had them all washed, dried, and back in before breakfast.
At 10:00, I finally got a pedicure--wow, do my tootsies look great! Went next door and bought Halloween cards for the granddaughters, grandson, and great-grandsons (who are, of course, older than the grandkids).
Betty called to tell me Don Marrendino has died--boy, there won't be anyone left in the class of '54 before long--wait, what am I saying?!
Met up with Jim, the assistant manager of this apartment complex and he told me it's been sold; the new people start on Monday.  The maintenance head, Javier, is already gone and Jim himself is moving to Bakersfield. Manager Bianca, will stay, but five new people will come in. Later I saw Suzanne, who's been here 19 years and another neighbor, Chuck, 23 years, and we discussed this. We're all apprehensive about what we see as a probable rent increase.
Walked over to Von's before lunch for my staples: lettuce, oranges, and cottage cheese. Cleared the few things I still had in there out of the car. Lunched, then I went to the bank to finally pick up the payout letter. From there, I drove to Five Points car wash and had the whole thing done, inside and out. Boy, it looks great, which makes me depressed about losing it.
Went from there to Lowe's and bought a new door mat for outside. Home, I threw the old one out, swept the front walk, and installed the new. Copied all the papers I have to show SHIFT this morning, then called Jim to be sure we were still on for the potluck. (My friends and I have all gotten screwed up lately about where, when, and so on, so I thought I'd make sure.)
Jim picked me up for the potluck at Dudley House and as ever, we had a good time. I hadn't felt like  like making anything, so I brought a bottle of wine, a red. I prefer white, so I had some of the Chardonnay others had brought.  Jim likes red and said mine was better than the other red (he know more about it than I do), so I let him take what was left home.
Connie K. did the program, impersonating Miriam Knox Dudley, daughter-in-law of the original Dudleys; she had lived in the house for seventy-some years herself. Connie had on a beautiful turn of the (twentieth) century outfit and a fabulous hat. Having been in her house in Oxnard, I know she has a huge wardrobe of costumes from a number of eras. (See picture below.)
Didn't get  in until almost 9:00.




No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...