Wednesday, May 23, 2018

"Book Club"

The usual in the morning, then home for breakfast, and I dressed for town.  As ever, I parked at the museum and walked the not quite a mile to the movie, but was 45 minutes early. Went up to the library, which wasn't even open yet, then just strolled around--might as well keep moving--until she got there.
We weren't surprised that Book Club had drawn a considerable audience, all practically doddering, of course. I had been ambiguous about going as I dislike the idea of age being the defining factor of a person, but in fact, I enjoyed it. It's what's called an "ensemble" movie, meaning that all four major parts are of equal importance--there's no standalone star. (Steel Magnolias, in which I appeared, is of the same genre.)  The four characters--played by Fonda, Keaton, Bergen, and Steenburgen--are respectively, a rich woman, never married, but experienced; a recent widow,; a divorced federal judge; and a married woman whose husband has gone cold on her. I could actually relate in some way to all of them and their various adventures. Predicable as much of it was, it was entertaining, with lots of funny parts. Anyway, we both enjoyed it. I suggested the Japanese restaurant across the street and we went there. After we parted, I walked back the library to read a bit. Saw Diane there and confirmed out lunch-in-the-park date for today.
When I got home, I was charmed to find at my door a vase with a beautiful pink rose in it. Rang Suzanne's bell, and yes, she had left it. Her patio is just gorgeous, with roses and other flowers abloom.  She's going away from June 1 to 8 (brother's fiftieth anniversary) and asked me to pick up her mail, as the P.O. is now charging to hold it.
Unfortunately, I had a very wakeful night. Got up for the usual reason about 3:00 am and have hardly slept since. I may take a nap after breakfast and/or go to bed early.

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

 Having absolute VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called Cricket to complain that I was told by Adain a...