Thursday, May 10, 2018

Lunch and Scones

Not a bad day. It was considerably warmer walking Kimball, so I didn't bundle up as usual. Met Diane with Irene and we chatted a bit about the presentation. Also walked for a while with Shelley and her little dog, Joey--they're occasional park walkers.
Home for breakfast, then to Sprouts for blueberries and strawberries. Tidied up a bit, then made my lunch, a big salad, natch, with Romaine, tomatoes, grilled chicken, feta, and grapes. I added a nice little single-serve bottle of Chardonnay, plus a disposable fork and napkin, and took off.  I drove to the museum, my usual, but then walked up Santa Clara Street to Plaza Park, where Diane had suggested we meet.
Plaza Park features a huge, hundreds of years old, historic tree, plus picnic tables with umbrellas. This was wonderful--much more comfortable than Mission Park. We ate, drank our wine surreptitiously (which was fun because it's a no-no; Diane had brought some, also), and had a fine time talking of this and that. We decided we should do this every Wednesday, so will meet again next week.
After a leisurely time, we parted, and I walked to the library. Stayed for a bit reading William Saroyan's son's book on what an SOB his father was, but lost interest quickly. I went over to look at the new books and saw a tell-all by some British female journalist and took it out.
Darn, that means I have too many items waiting to be read. I've now taken out of the library and have at home the aforementioned, plus the bio of Maxwell Perkins, Slaughterhouse Five, and Molly's Game (saw the movie a while ago).  I also have out Bill Bryson's CD of the year 1927 (I love Bill). In addition, I took home three books from the BCNN meeting exchange, which I haven't even opened.  I'll have to turn my attention to this shortly.
When I got home yesterday, I found a package on my doorstep. It contained four beautiful scones from Mike's and Paula's college friend, Sarah H. She's an avid baker (and photographer) and we're friends on Facebook. I admired a picture of the scones on FB and she sent some to me! I gave two to Jim, assistant manager here, then rang Suzanne's bell to give her one. She was very appreciative (she can use the calories) and we sat and chatted for a bit.
As for me, I ate half of one scone. As I had expected, it was excellent--just sweet enough and of a wonderful texture. However, I wasn't about to keep the rest of  them around as a constant temptation and I was satisfied with just a few bites. 

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...