Wednesday, May 09, 2018

California Conservancy Trail

Kind of a slow-pokey day after Kimball and breakfast and before the Sierra Club/Coastal Conservancy Trail talk at 7:00 pm.
Did a single load of wash, then called my Florida brother, Larry. Talked to him, his daughter, Elaine, and grandson, Nickie, who's now twenty, incredibly enough; he was in elementary school the last time I saw him. Wrote out Mother's Day cards and sent them off. Went to WinCo  for salad fixings, as I'm meeting Diane for lunch in the park today. Did various and sundry on the computer and, at loose ends, even tried to take a nap on the couch.
For some reason, I felt a little down. I think it may have been because I regretted substituting the evening presentation for Noreen's and my movie and dinner outing, which we postponed until next Tuesday. However, I shook that off later and drove to town.
Reversed my usual museum to library route, parking at the library and walking the other way. I stayed reading for an hour or so and by that time, it was time for the presentation. I walked in and immediately saw Rachel, who was pleased I had come. Shortly, Diane (whom I see at Kimball every day) and her husband came in. She promptly went over to talk to someone (she's an active member of the Sierra Club and a serious hiker) and Bob sat down with me.
What a neat guy! He had been with 3M until he retired, but said he was bored to death, so took on some kind of technical position with the fire department. He does all their statistical stuff and works up the material the chief presents to City Council. Sounds like something I'd do anything to avoid, but each to his own.
Diane came over to sit with us and the presentation started. It was by and about the two young women (Rachel's daughter and her friend), who  are both PhD. candidates and work together in the California Marine Science lab. They got a grant which allowed them to hike for 96 days on the California Conservancy Trail (CAT), from Oregon to the southernmost part of California, carrying their tents and backpacks. They were very engaging, using slides, videos, and anecdotes about their trip. One of these days, I'd like to get back to real hiking again, but not, of course, as ambitious as .
Got home a bit after 7:00 and, having skipped dinner, had some fruit and nuts.

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...