Friday, May 25, 2018

Chang And Eng

It was downright chilly at Kimball, but I just quickened my walking pace. Home, breakfast, and then I finally tackled the huge jobs of filing papers, storing some of my acting stuff, finishing the letter to Tony at the YMCA  re my course, clearing a lot of my closet, and tidying up some of my bedroom. Looks good, but I have plenty more to do.
After lunch, I took off for town and since I pass there on  the way, dropped my proposal off at the Y.  Later, I got a call from Tony, but missed it; I assume it was just to let me know he got my letter.
After I parked at the museum, I stopped in there to check on the cartoonist exhibit. I had mentioned it to Chuck W. on Facebook and he responded that he knew two of the artists. (Chuck himself was a Superman cartoonist, among others; he's now retired, although he went to school with my older son).
I talked to the receptionist there and she told me of a book signing last evening. This author wrote a bio of Chang and Eng, the early conjoined twins (called "Siamese." but were actually Chinese, just born in what is now Thailand) and would talk about it, plus there was a reception beforehand, starting at 6:00. I impulsively decided to go and I did.
So often, it seems to me, spontaneity adds a pleasurable spark to my activities. I had a fine time last night, not  least, maybe, because it was spur-of-the-moment. The fact that they had a lovely spread (various cheeses, crackers, grapes, nuts, and so on) and even lovelier wine (I had both white and red) could have something to do with it, too.
The speaker, Dr. Huang, was very entertaining.  He was born in China and after a long saga to which he alluded, moved to the U.S. years ago, became a citizen and teaches at UCSB. I told him my son had graduated from there, but in 1990, before his tenure. Unfortunately, the audience was very sparse. The room (which is where we used to meet for BCNN) was set up for roughly a hundred people, I'd say, and only fifteen or so were there.
After I sat down in the front row, a youngish woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I wasn't on the Ventura Council for Seniors. Yes, before I resigned, but who was this?  Her name is Denise Something and she used to be with the county and had attended our meetings. And now? Why, she's the program director at the museum. Aha! I mentioned my Dionne quintuplet presentation offhandedly and she seemed interested. If I ever get my act together re-organizing particulars, I'll get in touch with her. 
Mrs. El Cheapo that I am, I actually shelled out thirty bucks to buy the book. Dr. H. signed and wrote something in it. Once I'm finished with Tennessee Williams, I'll read it.  Got home before full dark after a very enjoyable excursion. 

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...