Sunday, May 06, 2018

Janie and The Class of 1954

Kimballed, breakfasted, newspapered, as ever. I know I did something else after that, but I'm darned if I can remember what. Went out to get Mother's Day cards for my daughter, daughters-in-law, and this year, decided to send Betty and my sisters-in-law one, just to tell them I love them. Got all those and sent off the ones to Asia; I'll bet anything they'll be late, though.
I wrote a note to Charles, Janie's husband (now widower), then I took out my year book to look at Janie's picture. There she was, a girl with a big smile and eyes that sparkled. I looked up in my blog the last time I saw her and it was seven years ago. She was not terribly well even then, and used a cane to get around. Looking over The Spartan of 1954, I was again startled to see how many of our class have died and I'm sure there are some I don't know about. I always think of Thomas Wolfe's "Oh, lost, and by the wind grieved/Ghost, come back again."
On this somber note, I called Mary Hoffman, Janies's sister-in-law to extend my condolences and we had a long, good talk. She mentioned her cousin, Mary Durney Peterson, who now has Alzheimer's or some form of dementia. Charlie Peterson, who was a friend of my Pat, died several years ago. I told Mary we'll get together when I'm there in June.
After lunch, I did my usual in town. I happened to see a corner bookcase or kind of shelving in wood, very attractive, and I bought it for twenty-five bucks. It looks  great in the living room and I'm still rearranging things.
I forgot to record my BP yesterday; it was 93/67. That's low, I know, but not too low. I feel fine, as ever.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I was saddened to read those names in your blog...in my mind's eye I see them young and vibrant. We know it's a fact of life but still ....it just sad.

Mimi said...

It sure is, Pat. And my class of '54 seems to have lost grads at a faster rate than others--they may be just because of aware of them.

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...