Saturday, May 12, 2018

T.O.P.S. And Archduke Ferdinand

Kimball, then home to change for T.O.P.S.
Okay, now I'm just about convinced my body is telling me to stay the hell at 128. I've been that--with two tenths of a pound up or down variations at times--for about seven or eight weeks. I'm fine with it, but I don't know how much longer I can endure the grindingly boring meetings. Yesterday's was a killer, meandering here, there, and everywhere with abandon.
Home for breakfast, then to Sprouts for grapes and berries. I had just been told by the fish guy he had no more salmon when a man came up to me and said, "well, there you are again." This wasn't a vagrant--you can always tell and they don't hang out at upscale grocery stores, anyway--but I had no idea who it was. He wore a jacket that said "Bob" and the thought went through my mind that it was Diane's husband, whom I had talked with at the Sierra Club. Didn't look a bit like him, except they're both tall. His wife then came up and he introduced her as Carolyn.
Well, it turned out they're a couple I see every morning in the park with their two dogs, Hazel and Sophie (he-he). We had a nice chat; they just moved here from L.A. and we both deplored how provincial the library is here. Bob has donated a lot of books on boating to the system here. Why so? When we exchanged cards, I saw that his says, "Bob Singer, USCG Licensed Master," so I assume he has something to do with boats and, I guess, the Coast Guard. Anyway, we chatted for a good twenty minutes or so, then said we'd see each other this morning, which I trust we will.
When I was at the 99 Cent  store, Betty called and we talked as I walked around putting this and that in my basket. Said goodbye, I went home for lunch, then took off for town.
Walked the walk and read for awhile an interesting book on the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, which precipitated World War I. I didn't realize his wife was killed, too, nor did I know what date it had happened: June 28, the birthday of both my older son and older great-grandson--gulp! However, that was in 1914, so I won't obsess over it.

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...