Friday, May 04, 2018

Lunch With Noreen

Things continue to buzz along, I'm happy to say. Walked Kimball (and got back home at 7:15!), then the usual computer stuff and so on. Went out to various supermarkets for shrimp, blueberries, and other goodies, then changed to meet Noreen at The Cave. This time, although I was a few minutes early, she was there already. She insisted on picking up the tab, but I ordered only two appetizers and put her Chardonnay on my card, so we may have broken even, but that's fine.
We had a good time getting to know each other better. Noreen had a somewhat somber childhood, plus a bad marriage and other family problems. Her only sibling, though, her brother, rose above that pretty well and became a anethesiologist; he's in his eighties now and is retired. Noreen herself was an R.N. in a hospital for  many years.
She insisted on picking up the tab, but I ordered only two modest appetizers and I put her wine on my card, so it probably evened out. As we were eating, the young chef, Alex (he looks about 14) came over to ask if we liked our meals. Yes, indeed, and I mentioned that The Cave's Facebook page had featured some new entrees of his that looked wonderful. He thanked me, but said they're only available after 4:00, as they're dinners. He no sooner went back to the kitchen when Noreen and I decided to go to a later showing of the movie on Tuesday, then go to The Cave for dinner.
We parted at almost 3:00 and I drove directly to town and did the usual walk. Sat for about an hour and read Reeve Lindbergh's book about her parents and early life Under A Wing.  (I've read it before, but enjoy many books more than once).
On my way home, Ellen called and we firmed up plans for me to meet her at school for the cinco de Mayo festival; her third-graders will sing. We decided to go to dinner after at Jasmine Thai--hey, why not be international foodies? We also discussed Mother's Day and I suggested the Aloha Restaurant, which is right on the beach. It's true a man was murdered there last month, but it was a random act.  Homeless man stuck a knife in a young father's neck, seemingly with no provocation. The young man's five-year-old daughter was sitting on his lap.
I have T.O.P.S. this morning and am pretty sure I haven't lost; in fact, I feel I've gained, as I've been going out a lot.  However, I'll be okay with a small gain, as I know it'll balance out later.

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...