Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Toastmasters

The usual early. The rest of the morning is somewhat of a blut; can't quite remember what I did, aside from household chores and the laptop.
Walked in town after lunch and ran into Diane. As usual, she looked beautifully groomed, but said her feet were bothering her. She has nephropathy and I suppose that was the problem. We confirmed our lunch-in-the-park date for tomorrow and moved on.
I had just veggies for dinner, which I like to do now and then: butternut squash, carrots, and Brussels sprouts. Changed and left for Toastmasters at 5:30.
I opened up when I got there and set up a bit. Others came, including three guests, who proved to be delightful. I was especially happy to talk with (Owie?), who is from Malaysia. She was interested to hear I've been there and that my son lives in Singapore, which is right next door. I hope all three guests will return.
Cece had Table Topics and it was a fun exercise: She had participants pick folded pieces of paper, each of which had the name of a fictitious country on it. They then had to talk on it impromptu for one to two minutes. I got "Turgistan" and feigned great surprise because, I said, my grandmother came from there.  In fact, she had been its queen, but was overthrown in a coup because she had had an affair with one of her underlings.... And so on. It was a lot of fun.
Fern spoke on the "my passion" theme--in her case, chocolate, and I was her evaluator. She spoke on chocolate and to top it off, brought in delicious little brownies she had made herself. I took one bite of mine, then surreptitiously wrapped the rest in a napkin, and put it in my purse to dispose of it when I got home. Too bad, but I've come too far to risk getting turned on by sugar. 
We also had a guest speaker from headquarters (or wherever) to try to explain the "Pathways" system. It's still clear as mud to me. She said
It was a good meeting, but this particular group suffers from disorganization, which Sue, Cece, and I talked about it after in the parking lot. Let's hope it clears up soon.
  

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...