Sunday, October 21, 2018

Fish

Nice day.  Suzanne called me at 6:00 am.  Anyone else might be outraged at that, but she knows my alarm goes off at 5:15 and in another fifteen, I'm having my coffee at this laptop. She asked if I wanted to go to the harbor where the fishermen bring their wares on weekends.  Naturally I did, and at 8:00, off we went.
It was an absolutely gorgeous morning. The Santa Ana winds, which had been blowing so strongly for several days, had cleared off all the mistiness and the sun shone so brightly on the mountains, they just stood out against the blue, blue sky.
We inspected the fish, shrimp, crabs, and clams, all of which had been pulled from the sea just a few hours before. I was taken aback to see that many were still moving--also, that buyers were expected to clean and gut them. We agreed we didn't want to do that, so went to another fish place, which had both fresh and frozen fish, all cleaned and filleted. I wanted swordfish, but they had none frozen and the other was $24 dollars a pound, which I wouldn't pay. Instead, Suzanne and I both got sea bass--just beautiful and plenty enough for three meals.
After, we took a long walk along the water, then stopped for coffee and a light breakfast. I was pleased they had "heavy" bread and cottage cheese, so I had what I eat every day at home sans the half orange. We sat on the patio overlooking the water and talked and talked, about what proposals are on Ventura's ballot and political and state-of-the-world topics.
I'm often with people who, although I like them a lot and they are certainly no dummies, don't seem to be interested in bigger questions. They're either convinced Trump is the devil incarnate and the democrats are morally superior to others, or the exact opposite. Suzanne has a good mind and is articulate; she's never dogmatic or insinuates that her opinion is the right one. She simply observes, comments, and doesn't necessarily pass judgement. I told her about Chris Hedges' new book,which I'm reading and she wants to borrow it after I return it to the library.* Anyway, we  had a good discussion; came to no conclusions, but both expressed our enjoyment of the morning.
After lunch, I went as usual to town; still a gorgeous day at the ocean. As I was on the bus going home, I was charmed to receive a private message from my darling great-grandson. He was writing an essay and asked an English usage question concerning semi-colons. Of course,  I responded and loved doing it.
I haven't heard back from Betty as to when she's coming this morning, but assume she'll get to it. If not, I'll just see her when I see her.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...