Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Crazy and Cauliflower

Walked early, then stripped the bed and did a white wash. Walked to the post office for stamps to send Eileen, my tenant, the water bill. I always tell the p.o. people I don't want military ones and wouldn't you know, that's all they had. Decided to go to the main office in town, since I'd be nearby.
Had lunch and did my other usuals on an ordinary day...
Except for my encounter with one of the crazy people who roam the streets here--and I guess, in southern California as a whole or maybe the entire globe, I don't know.  I walked the two blocks to where I get the bus and saw this guy on a bench, cussing out somebody--or somebodies--who weren't there. He caught sight of me and started yelling at me to give him back his money. At this point, the bus came around the corner and I tried to flag it down, but the driver thought I was motioning him away, and sped up. A very nice guy stopped, seeing my distress (I didn't want to be left on the street with the nut) and said he'd take me to the next stop, which he did and that's where I got on the bus. As soon as I did, I called 911 and told the dispatcher about the guy; she said some officers would come out. I know what will happen. The man will be brought to the station, kept overnight, and then released unless, maybe, he shows he'll harm others or himself. This is supposed to be a civilized country, but this is what happens to the mentally ill. What a travesty.
Went to the library, then the p.o., then The Promanade, but I walked only a mile or so because I wanted to get home, shower, and dress for the monthly Soaring Spirits dinner. Did so, and left for the Stone Fire Grille. I took a bus for the first segment, walked the rest.
There were eleven of us, including Ray, who teaches at Buena High School and one of whose students is Vera's son. Nancy and Carolyn B. came in later and I was pleased that they were happy to have our Happy Hour at Grapes and Hops tomorrow. Pam was there for the first time in months; this is the one I tried to fix up with my nephew, Wes, except he hasn't gotten to California yet, and we shared laughs over that. I still think they'd make a good match. I got roasted cauliflower (delicious), one of their signature appetizers and an ice cold Chef Peak beer (even more so).
Gayle took me home after a very enjoyable evening.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...