Monday, October 15, 2018

"Chef"

Walked the new walk, which is getting to be the old walk, then did my usual Sunday morning thing. I left for town early, about 10:30, got off at the library, walked to The Promanade, then back to Main. The movie at the museum wasn't until 1:00, so I had plenty of time to stroll here and there. At noon, I decided to have a bite, so visited a honky-tonk bar for a beer and potato chips; that stood in for lunch.
Got to the museum and saw Denise, who is program director, and whom I know, and we chatted. Unbelievably, the room was set up with about 100 chairs and there were only three other people in the audience. The drinks and snacks table was fully stocked. and I bought a Chardonnay and finished off my potato chips with it. The movie, Chef, was a tie-in with the museum's "At The Table" exhibit, about various table settings and foods. I still haven't seen it, but maybe can drop in today (now that I'm a museum member, I get in free).
Boy, it was a lousy movie. It meandered all over the place, with pathos and bathos and Daddy Chef and Little Boy Helper and so on and so forth--a terrible bore and the only reason I stayed through the whole deadly thing is because I didn't want to hurt Denise's feelings. Dustin Hoffman was in it and I was amazed he'd accept such a tiny part. He played the restaurant owner and was in only the first few scenes and it was a nothing part, anyway. I wonder how much he was paid for it--maybe he paid them.
After, I went to the library to pick up a book I thought I had on reserve, but annoyingly, it wasn't there. Must ask about it today. Stella called while I was waiting for the bus to see if I could meet her at The Promanade and walk. By that time, it was after 4:00, so I begged off.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...