Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Olio*

I extended my morning walk, going the uphill route. Changed my bed and did the sheets and other whites in bleach at the laundry place. Ran into Suzanne as I was taking my clothes and we chatted for a bit. She wanted to show me pictures of San Luis Obispo, where she had spent the weekend with some other sisters, but was on her way to work, so said we'd catch up later. Sent an e-mail to Diane, asking if she was game to meet for Happy Hour, although Nancy and Carolyn had decided to skip, as they didn't want to drive on Halloween. She accepted and I told her to pick a spot.
Hopped on a bus to get to the 99 Cent store and bought a few items. Home for lunch, then to town. Betty called while I was on the bus, asking again for me to come to Santa Barbara to see her apartment. Yes, I want to, but the lease doesn't start until November 2, anyway. Returned Chris Hedges' America, The Farewell Tour to the library, then headed down to The Promenade and the Pacific Ocean.
Boy, was it rough. I had never seen the waves so high and every time they crashed down, I could hear a deep, rolling noise, exactly the way thunder sounds when it's nearby. That was made by the rocks that line part of the beach, rolling around under the water. Some of them are pretty heavy, too.
Home and rang Suzanne's door, but she was just out of the shower and had to go back to St. John's because one of the Sisters, who has Alzheimer's, had been omitted. We'll catch up later.
*Ha! I don't think I've ever seen this in real life, but it comes up fairly often in crossword puzzles. It means a hodgepodge, a mix  of this and that.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Is that what olio margarine was? Maybe Oleo is a derivative of olio or something like that?

Mimi said...

Pat, I kinda don't think there's a connection. I think "oleo" is a made-up name, like "Kleenix." Remember, it was originally "oleomargarine." Let's look it up!

Mimi said...

Ha--that sister nun of Suzanne's wasn't "omitted," she was "admitted." Hasty typing and no proofing, as usual.

iloveac said...

I figured you meant that...but it
was kinda funny.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...