Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Closets, Produce, and Aline

I kept pretty busy with closet clearing in the morning. Went through my clothes and selected several to donate. That's not so virtuous; they're ones I can no longer wear because of--well, tubbiness. I also went through some of the multitude of things I have that are office-related. I had a large study at my other house, with lots of drawers, closet space, and bookcases. I seem to have filled them with pens, pencils, tape, stickers, scissors, paper, envelopes, and enough accumulated crap to open a Staples. Put a lot in a container to donate when I go to Goodwill today.
I called the woman who had said she wanted to buy my silver. Her husband answered and said she was under the weather. I explained why I was calling and said I needed to know if she still wanted it. I took it off Craigslist, as she seemed anxious, but she hasn't called again. I'll call once more, then put it back on.
Went to WinCo for lettuce, grapes, and cottage cheese; I'm still following Diana's challenge. I found a package of rice in the cupboard and cooked that. I always get the regular kind, not instant, and it takes twenty minutes to cook. I used what was left of a good-sized package and good grief, when it was finished, it looked as if I had enough for the entire population of Beijing. I had a bowlful for dinner with butter, salt and pepper, and that's all I had. Put the rest in the fridge and will maybe combine it with the frozen shrimp I still have.
I called my friend, Aline, at my 7:30 am, her 10:30. Ordinarily, I would never call anyone that late (just as I would never call Pat R. at 7:30 am), but we had talked about this and she assured me she was up and awake until the wee hours. So I did, and we had a fine time catching up. As she does at least two weekends every month, she had traveled to Manhattan a number of times since we were last in touch, often to attend an opera. We had planned for me to go with her some time, but never did that. I miss her and my friend, Marge--the two of them especially, but maybe not as much as I used to. Those conflicting adages come to mind: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," as opposed to "out of sight, out of mind."

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...