Saturday, February 13, 2016

Hazelnut and Dan

Did a lot of mundane house work and paper work--there seems to be no end to it. Later, I went to WinCo. I'm continuing the Diana Challenge of "eating down" the cupboard--or whatever--but I needed detergent and stuff. I knew WinCo had a bulk foods area, but had never ventured near it. This time, I did, and dished myself up some prunes to snack on at night. Then I saw the coffee section and decided to treat myself to hazelnut. Arranged the bag underneath, pulled the lever, and a pound of coffee beans came out. There was a grinder, but I didn't know how to use it until one of the very pleasant and courteous employees showed me how. Just to top off my self-indulgent spree, I bought myself a small container of heavy cream. That, to me, made for the most decadent and delicious morning treat ever, which I'm drinking right now--yum!
Drove to town, thinking I'd return some books at the library, but decided I didn't feel like getting out of the car, so I just enjoyed the drive. Stopped near the park to call Ellen. I had texted her about the medical miracle (my restored hearing), but hadn't heard back. At a bit after 4:00, she was still at school, but we chatted. I asked if she wanted to go with me over the weekend to Michael Moore's Where To Invade Nexta. She'd like to see it, but plans to spend today getting her house in shape to sell and tomorrow Greg is off, so they'll do something together. I offered to help clean and she may or may not take me up on it.
I had thought the closest place to see the movie is Santa Barbara, but found it's also showing in Camarillo, which is less than 9 miles from me. Plus, there are matinees not only on Saturday and Sunday, but all next week, so I can go by myself then.
Got a call from Dan G., husband of Annie, to ask if he could come for the silver set after work. Sure, I said, and he did. From talking to his wife (Annie) and him on the phone, I had the impression they were about my age, but they're considerably younger, I'd say early sixties. He teaches in L.A.--special ed--and lives in Ojai; that's a 140-mile daily commute--geez! Anyway, I invited him to sit down and he stayed for a half hour or so and we talked. Interestingly, his son is also married to a Japanese woman, for whom the son is trying to get citizenship. They have another son--who did his junior year abroad in Singapore, another coincidence--and a daughter. Before he left, he said he still had my number and maybe he and Annie and I could get together some time. Hmm...
When Annie first called asking about the silver set I had on CraigList, I liked the fact that she was articulate and clearly well-educated. I actually thought she might be an interesting friend to have and wondered if I it would sound too pushy--or needy--to approach her about it. Incidentally, she has MS and is in a wheelchair, but with Dan, she probably could meet for lunch or something. It's Dan I have some trepidation about. (Oh, I know it's "about whom I have some...," but that sounds so stilted.) He said he's had "several careers," the first in the military (ouch); not sure about the others before he got to the classroom. The problem is, somehow he came across as one of those annoying Man is King, Woman His Handmaiden, types and not very introspective, either.
Oh well, maybe I'm misjudging him, and I would like to get to know Annie, so if they call, I'll respond.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...