Sunday, February 28, 2016

Tax Return and Cauliflower

Well, I've been kicking up my heels the last week or so and yesterday, I had to pay the piper. (Nothing like two hoary cliches to start a blog entry.) I spent the earlier part of the day on financial matters--paying bills and so on. My method combines up-to-date on-line banking with the old "mark it on the paper calendar" ploy; what I actually do is too boring to record, but it works for me.
I also started my e-mail to the Santa Paula Theatre Company, to which I'll submit my three plays shortly. I re-read them and saw I needed to revise a bit more. Will do, and hope to get them off at least by Monday.
I continue my lifetime (somehow it followed me west) of going through things and came across a box of stamps from Singapore, Japan, and other countries. I had saved them when I got letters from my sons, thinking my great-grandsons might be interested, but I just forgot to ask them and I doubt if they would. Anyway, I hated to throw them out, so put them on Craig's list for free.
Not five minutes after I pressed "publish," I got a call from a guy in Oxnard, saying he'd like to have them. He said he'd pick them up here, but I wanted to meet at a public place and suggested the Bank of America main office, near me and not far from him. We met, I gave him the stamps, and he was so appreciative. He said he and his children put them in books and that they talk about the countries they come from. He was clearly of Mexican extraction and I was very impressed by what he said. He also invited me to meet him and his family at the Church of Christ, a nondenominational congregation (of which there seem to be many around here) for services today. Well, that ain't gonna happen, but I liked the fact he invited me.
Called El after to see if I could search my boxes in her garage for my 2014 tax return. She was filling out report cards--an enormous job, considering each includes a huge number of evaluations. (I told her at St. James, we got marked for academics and "deportment." The latter was all there was for personal characteristics.)
She opened the garage, I looked a bit, but didn't find the return. I did ask El to carry to my car some boxes I'll go through and soon --I hope--deal with a lot more stuff. She asked if I wanted to go to Ojai today to see some mobile homes she was looking at, and of course, I said I would. Niece Carolyn had said she'd come over "on the weekend," but I haven't heard from her yet and may have to postpone her visit (and the chair removal). We'll see.
Finally roasted the cauliflower, which took more than an hour and, frankly, wasn't that good. I ate the whole thing for dinner (it was small), but doubt if I'll go to that much trouble again.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...