Saturday, March 01, 2014

Lunch, Opera, And My Expensive Eyes

I decided to devote yesterday--some of it, anyway--to trying to lower the cost of the outrageously expensive eye drops I must again take for three days.  I called Bausch & Lomb and spoke to somebody who said I could get a coupon for $50 off for one of them, but no, they wouldn't send it electronically, only through the mail.  Scratch that, as I have to start them tomorrow.  Finally got a number which the pharmacist would have to call to get the Rx code, or whatever it is, to possibly reduce the cost.
Aline then called and I asked if she was available for lunch.  Sure, and we decided on a late one at Elements, a new (or newly taken over) restaurant in Manahawkin.  Picked her up, then went back to the eye doctor's, pleading my case for a sample.  The day before, they had said they had no more, but the assistant looked again and--yes!  She gave me the Prolensa.  This was, wouldn't you know, the less expensive one ($124), but hey, it was something.
We went to lunch--Elements immediately became a favorite--then to Wal-Mart to see if they would recognize either of the--supposedly dollars off--coupons I had printed out.  Also gave them the phone number for B & L.  They said it would be at least an hour, so we cooled our heels with this and that.
Went back and found they were able to get thirty bucks off; okay, I'll take that.  So the two cost a total of $133--still highway robbery, but better than before.
We didn't get out of there until after 5:00, but luckily, Aline didn't have to go home before A Night At The Opera, so I just brought her back to my place.   While I changed and applied make-up, she looked at her e-mail on the computer (she doesn't have one) and we were ready in time for Frank and Barbara to pick us up.
It was a wonderful show: a mother and daughter singing arias from various operas--I actually recognized some--as well as German and Irish folk songs, "art songs," and other selections.  We chatted with several Sunrise Bay attendees and enjoyed the complimentary non-alcoholic cider and cheese and crackers.  After, we went up to thank the singers and Aline told them she had seen the mother at the Met twenty years ago.
Got home by 9:30 to hear a message from brother Frank.  Called him back and had a nice chat with him and Marybeth.
Busy, but good and productive day.


No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...