Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Funeral And Dinner

I'm late with this entry--good grief, it's after 8:00--as I got up only an hour ago. Looked at Google + to enjoy new videos and pictures of precious little K., then got a Skype call from Mike.  I was delighted to chat for a bit with Violet, then Vivian, and especially, to "meet" Paula's brother and sister-in-law, which I never had before.  Their daughter sings with a choral society and when they're in New York, as they sometimes are, we talked about me possibly meeting them there.
Also enjoyed new videos and still pictures of the big boy in Japan. He's such an active, curious baby, who takes an interest in all kinds of things, including plastic-coated hangers and a silicon pan.  Mike, Paula, and the girls will be going to visit them in two weeks.
Yesterday, I attended the service for Dennis F., held at the funeral home.  It was only quasi-religious; it included a recitation of the "Our Father," but otherwise, was a mishmash of Broadway tunes and sorrowful reminiscences by attendees. What I found most tiresome--naturally--was the inclusion of a military (Air Force) ceremony, which seemed to be a modification of the graveside ritual.  It was very theatrical, with a flag first folded, then unfolded and displayed in its full--uh, glory, by the two performers, then folded again, all with the jerky, mime-type movements that I suppose are considered properly serious.
Funny: Although I tossed Catholicism and other trappings of spiritualism years ago, I prefer the majesty and solemn grandeur of a funeral mass to what seemed to me a rather tacky send-off.  
After, mourners were invited to the Tuckerton Grille for lunch and I sat with Susan, Ray and Barb, Julie and Gary, the F.'s and the T.'s.  It was a buffet and a pretty mediocre one, if you ask me: salad, mixed veggies, and soggy chicken cubes and salmon.  Aside from the salad, it was all straight from cans, bottles, and the freezer, no question.  Dessert was a gluey mess of apples-from-a-jar with crumb topping.  Well, the coffee was good.
Got home to shower, change, and putter around before going across to Susan's at 6:00 for dinner with her and Walter, and daughter and granddaughter, Julie and Sophia.  Son and DIL, Jeff and Kim, came late, so I didn't see them.
I was immediately served with a Sapphire gin martini--to die for--then we had salad and lasagna, along with a robust red.  It was a convivial meal, with good talk and laughs, and I stayed until after 8:00.  Went to bed soon after and, as Susan said she wasn't going to walk today, slept late.
Just got a call from Aline, asking if she could come with me to rehearsal tonight, and sure, I'll pick you up, said I.
That brings my legions of followers (ha!) up to date and now I'm going to have breakfast.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...