Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lunch And A Death

Got a clean bill of (vision) health at my final eye doctor appointment. Aline had been out and about with Frank to put up posters and, as planned, we met at Wal-Mart, then went to Element for lunch.
This is a new restaurant where we had gone a few weeks ago and enjoyed. I had a less than satisfactory experience yesterday, though:  We were seated at a sunny and pleasant side room and I ordered a hot corned beef sandwich and a Blue Moon.  Got the sandwich, which was simply corned beef and bread--no mustard, mayo, or any other spread.  It came with fries and I asked the bus boy to bring catsup.  He went away and never came back.  I waited and waited for my beer and catsup--and to ask for mustard--but we weren't revisited by the waitress. Asked people at a nearby table if I could use their catsup and ate a few fries. Told Aline to start her salad.  She had asked for crackers and extra dressing, and she didn't get them either.  Finally, waitress reentered the area, a good twenty minutes after we had ordered, and I reminded her about my beer and mustard.  It must have been ten minutes after that, when she finally returned with them.  At that point, my corned beef wasn't even warm, which I told her; she asked if I wanted her to have it re-heated.  No, I'm just not going to eat it, I said.  With no comment, let alone an apology, she took it away and brought the check, just charging for the beer.  So annoying.  
After, we went down--over and down, that is--to Holgate to witness an angry sea, full of rollers and white caps, then stopped at the Little Egg Library.  Both Kathy D. and Lucille P. were there and we chatted with them for a few.  Home about 5:30 after an enjoyable day, notwithstanding the corned beef.
Sad news a few minutes after I got in, though:  Susan called to tell me that Dennis Fotopoulous has died. Dennis was in the drama club with me years ago and he and Mary-Jo were in Dine Around with me.  He was a big, jovial, out-going guy, well-known and well-liked in our community, but had been in poor health in recent years.  Susan asked me to help spread the word, and I called Marge first, then four other friends. Sigh...
  

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...