Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Snow And Justice

And the snow came down and down...
Not sure how much we actually got, but I'd say more than four inches.  It was windy, too, so there were lots of drifts.   Susan and I walked anyway, as it was crunchy, not slippery, but our umbrellas kept blowing inside out and the snow was the icy, stinging type, so we cut it short.
Other than that, I was in all day, a rarity for me.  Talked to Betty five or six times, plus Jeanne P., plus the eye doctor's office, plus brother Frank, plus Frank Next Door, plus Susan, Barbara, and my friend up north.  Frank N.D. said Desi's plane from Florida had been cancelled, so he won't be in until today.
Rehearsal was cancelled for last night.  We'll have it tonight at the Community Center if Frank can get the key; otherwise out in the woods at the H.'s.
The high point of the day was a Skype visit with adorable K., now high-steppin'--in a manner of speaking--all around his baby mat.  Maybe it's more accurate to call it "high rumpin'," as he kind of maneuvers himself around with a combination of rolling legs and throwing arms.  He's so bright, curious, and active, he seems to his Nana just the quintessential almost-six-month-old.  
JUSTICE: Just as I was going to bed last night, I heard scraping sounds and discovered that two men were clearing Frank's front walk and porch; they then moved on to mine.
They were from the service, Meticulous, of course, but this was after nine at night, for heaven's sake, and it was so damn cold.  You can talk all you want about inequities and how so few have so much and others so little and about following Jesus and helping the poor, but to be confronted with it--!  How is it that I was snug and warm in my attractive, much-too-big-for-one-person, home with my possessions (and so many of them!  Things I don't even need!) around me, about to climb into a comfortable bed and looking forward to the Philadelphia Flower Show today--and these other people were shoveling my walk in the dark and the cold?
I'm not religious, but I'm human and I know it can't be right.  It can't.        

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...