Friday, March 28, 2014

Van Tour And "Our Troops"

Left for Wells Mills Park and the van trip at 7:30, Susan driving.  She, Barb, and I enjoyed the tour of historic places in Medford and Medford Lakes, neither of which I had known much about before.  It was settled by Quakers, for one thing, and the town of Medford itself has so many beautiful old houses, dating from the early years of the country to Victorian and Edwardian times.
The "Lakes" part has, indeed, a number of lakes and--even more interesting, I thought--the majority of the (not historic) homes we saw were built of logs.  It seems that, just as the rest of the Jersey pinelands do, the forest around Medford is heavy on cedar tree and people sensibly used what was handy.
There was a mix up about start time for rehearsal: With Aline in tow, I got there at 6:15, but others straggled in later and we didn't begin until 7:00.  This annoyance was topped off by Rick's piece in The Sandpaper, which Mary brought in.  Very nice, but he misspelled my name, damn it; second letter is "o," not "a."  He's written a number of other articles about plays in which I've appeared and spelled it right--but only, I guess, because I emphasized it to him each time.  He also misspelled Ellen's name, which is "Voorhees," not "Vorhees," but hey, I guess the world is still turning.
We did a full run last night, but in this order: acts 1 and 4, then 2 and 3 because Kevin was late (he teaches dancing in Waretown) and appears only in the middle parts.  I stayed until we finished, though, so didn't get home until after ten and to bed an hour later.  However, ever-virtuous, I got up and met Susan for our usual walk at 7:00 this morning.
We don't rehearse again until Monday, when finally, at long last, we'll be able to do it at Surflight.
WIDER:  Here's something from Facebook so grotesque and gape-mouth idiotic, it's actually funny, in a horrifying way.  It seems God has gone electronic and a "like" constitutes a prayer.  You understand, that's only for "our troops," who have to do the work of slaughtering the heathen horde and not for the men, women, and children they kill.  Of course, the illiterate "patriot" who devised it managed to get three errors in ten words, but what else can you expect from an FB page called "Support Our Veterans"?      


2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

I haven't been online, to speak of, for the past week. I see I haven't missed any very rewarding Facebook experiences!

Part of me is perversely happy to see this kind of schlock. I mean, surely this Troop worship is passing over into the sort of self-parody that might shake more and more people out of the Holy Church of America and into something like critical thinking. Obviously, that's asking a lot. But equally obviously, they're doing a lot. "Idiocracy," here we come!

Mimi said...

Tou know, Jim, I;m not religious, nor am I "patriotic." I don't go around trumpeting those facts, but I don't pretend otherwise, either. My non-belief in the supernatural is almost invariably shrugged off by others, but a mere hint that I may not worship in the "Holy Church of America" is invariably met with shocked or even angry disapproval.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...