Friday, November 15, 2013

A Senator's Response To My Protest of Drones (And See My Comment Below)

 
Dear Ms. Molloy:
 
Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts regarding military drone strikes.  Your opinion is very important to me, and I acknowledge your concerns about this critical issue.
 
As you may know, it is the Administration's view that U.S. targeting practices, including lethal operations conducted by means of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) or military drones, complies with all applicable laws, including the laws of war.
 
The United States is in an armed conflict with al-Qaeda, as well as the Taliban and associated forces.  As a result, it is acceptable under international law to use force, including targeted drone strikes, against targets operating within these groups. 
 
The process of determining appropriate and legal targets includes a review by top National Security officials within the administration in collaboration with the Administration's legal counsel.  If, after legal review, there is a determination that the individual or group in question is not a lawful target, the operation does not proceed.  Furthermore, individuals or groups are only targeted if they are determined to pose a significant threat to the country's national security, such as those who are operational leaders of al-Qaeda or one of its associated forces.
 
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of further assistance.  I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate.
 


 



 
 
 For sheer, cold-blooded rhetoric designed by advertising hacks and political "advisors" to justify murder,  it seems to me this takes the cake.  I think my decision never again to vote in a national election is sound.



1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

Here's how bad it is, Mimi: when I saw this, my first thought (and how embarrassed I am to admit it!) was; Menendez, let's see, Democrat or Republican?

As if it mattered! Just as if it mattered one molecule's worth!

Yes, any and every decision not to vote is a sound one.

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...