Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Good Day

Well, it turned out to be a good day.  Got a call from Tom W., thanking me for the Ventnor Beach Patrol postcard and we had a nice chat.  I was surprised to hear he was Mickey B.'s nephew by marriage.
Picked up Aline and we went to lunch at John & Sonia's.  Because I had had pain in my gum at--or near--where my tooth was reattached, I wanted soft food, so ordered a cheese omelet.  It was yummy and I ate all of it.
Aline asked if I could take her down to nearby Gravelling Point (a beach at the water), where she would sit in the sun and read her book and I did.  Her sister, Susan, said she'd pick her up later.  Got my own chair out of the trunk and sat with A. for a half-hour in the glorious sunshine, then said goodbye.
I went home to tweak the plays a bit, as last night was our first true rehearsal.  I was dismayed to receive a call from Desi saying he didn't think we should do Hell On Wheels.  He thought it was childish.  I disagreed and asked that he see it done properly with all the participants, and a slight set-up.  I asked he not say anything until then and
he agreed.  Because I'm rehearsing the two plays separately, and Desi's only in the first, I expected him to stay for H. On W., but he didn't.  What that means I don't know--I hope he changed his mind, and if he didn't, I think he will if he sees it properly.
Stopped at Susan's to find her feeling marginally better--she said.  I'm uneasy about her, though.  She said "they"--I guess the radiologist--had diagnosed her problem as a urinary tract infection and she had been prescribed medication.  But...would that cause constant pain in the stomach and loss of appetite?  I didn't know u.t. infections would do that.  Susan did say she was able to eat two chicken nuggets and a spoonful of ice cream (that was her full diet until I saw her at 3:00 pm) and said she felt "a little better."  Boy, I hope if it doesn't clear up soon she gets a second opinion.  
Rehearsal for Telephone, of which I was very apprehensive, actually went beautifully.  Jim shed his hayseed persona to act seriously and Mary (his wife in real life, sister-in-law in the play) was just superb.  Desi, as the psychiatrist, was excellent, also.  We agreed that he drop the German accent and he just played it straight.
The play is so short we were able to do it three times, and still end before 8:00.  I was pleased at how the cast responded to my direction and will be glad to see Jeanne in the part I had played as the wife, "Marian."
Hell On Wheels went really well, too.  I added Aline as "the Devil's helper," and we did some blocking, so it was more interesting than just sitting would be.  I hope, hope, hope Desi doesn't want to drop it.
Anyway, it turned out  

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...