Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Tooth And Nothing But The...

Well, there's a little more than the tooth, but that was the major part of yesterday afternoon.
In the morning, Bob S. came over to blow out my sprinklers (that always sounds naughty!), and we visited for a bit.  Bob and Angela just lost their second daughter to cancer--incredibly and horribly, their first died two years ago, and now this one.  It's hard to understand how you survive that.
Susan was still in pain from her stomach, and was unable to walk.  I've been skipping it myself, I should be ashamed to say, but I'm not.  Slept until 7:15 again today.
I planned to make a stir-fry for dinner, so cut up onions, garlic, and mushrooms and had them ready in the refrig.
Left for the dentist in Bordentown at 1:30.  It's a hundred-mile round trip and I'm still not sure why I don't get somebody around here.  (Oh, only because they're all either nuts or employ snooty staff.)  Pulled into a parking lot long enough to call Marilyn to see if she wanted to meet for an early dinner.  Got her and she said she'd like to, but she was up with her Mother in Canton, Pa., two hundred miles away. 
Was taken early and found Dr. L. could plug in the post anew, which she did.  Boy, did it hurt when she shot a needle of Novocain straight up into the socket.  However, it numbed quickly and although I consider dentistry on an even par with having a leg amputated, I survived it. 
On the way home, brother Jim called with a question of English usage (a "lying" or "laying" one).  Nice to hear from him.  I didn't get in until after 5:00 and found a  message from Susan, asking me to call her.  That was unusual and I did right away, but her message machine was on.  I went across to her house, but nobody answered the bell.  I became concerned and looked to see if I had Walter's phone number, but I didn't.  Actually called the hospital to see if she had been admitted, but she hadn't.
After dinner--added two sausage links to the stir-fry, and was it yummy--I went across to Susan's and she answered the door.  I was sorry to hear she still had pains in her stomach.  She had gone to the doctor and had been sent for some kind of imaging test.  Alarmingly, she's lost five pounds because, she says, she just can't eat--has no appetite.  To top it off, Walter is in Canada on a long-planned trip. Of course, I assured her I was ready to help in any way.  Incredibly, because she's co-chair of the Oktoberfest, which is this Saturday, Susan actually went to order a cake and do other chores connected with the event.  Her co-chair, Bessie F., is away and Susan, being Susan, didn't feel she could ask anyone else to do them.
I hope, fervently, that the problem is her gall bladder.  If so, she'll have it out and be fine after, as I was.  Otherwise, there was a thought floating around us as we talked that neither of us wanted to voice.     

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...