Thursday, October 10, 2013

First Rehearsal

Years ago, I read Moss Hart's autobiography, Act One, in which he describes a rehearsal of one of his early plays as (I'm paraphrasing) "a shambles, but like a drunk falling downstairs, always headed in the right direction."
Last night's meeting felt like that and I'm not even sure it was headed in the right direction. It was a first reading, of course, so the casts weren't familiar with the material, but geez, I was horrified at their ineptitude.  In particular, a pivotal character in Telephone seems unable to drop his constantly jokey and totally inappropriate manner to take on a serious role.  I'm thinking of asking him to switch with Frank D., who plays the devil in the comedic play.  Besides that, Tara B. may or may not be available for the show.  She may have moved out of state by then, so should I re-cast or not?  At this point, I dunno.
Earlier, I hauled my postcards back up to Barnegat, only to be informed that the proprietor, Jim, was in the hospital getting his gall bladder out.  Damn, how I wish I had just taken him up on his (low-ball, but so what?) offer in the first place.  At least, the gall bladder thing isn't particularly serious, and I assume he'll be back in action before long.
Called the dentist's office, and made an appointment for Monday to do something--I hope--with the "post" tooth, which I found when I was making the bed. 
Called Dave F. to cover the one role I didn't have, but he declined.  Then called Dave S. and he accepted.  It's a shame it's such a small role--only nine lines--but he'll also do a soliloquy from Les Mis.  We added some other bits, too, including a dialogue between Julie and Tara K.  I hope the library has a piano available, so Aline can play.  Will check on that.
I told the group about Christmas At Delaney's, which I have in progress.  Acted out a bit and told them I'd send it to them.  Put out some grapes and a pitcher of water for the gang--I wasn't about to serve them wine and nibbles because this was a working session. 
Well, we're started anyway, for what it's worth.  Will meet again at the library on Tuesday. 
         

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...