Thursday, October 03, 2013

Active Day

A good, active day.  Cleaned up my submission to FELS  to teach an acting course and took care of a few other cyber-chores.  Was pleased to get a return call from my "Cincinnati Sis," my cousin, Marifran K., and we had a good chat.  Pulled down some stuff in the guest rom closet and disposed of it as appropriate (most straight to the trash).
Cleaned and chopped up a number of veggies and put them in the slow cooker.  Also prepared with a fine chop onions, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic to stir-fry today.  Heated up almost the last of my lentil stew for lunch, then loaded my (by default; they were originally my older son's) comic books in the car and took off for Barnegat. 
Stopped at Bay Street Antiques to see if they were interested in the comic books; they may be, but the owner wasn't in, so I'd have to come back.  A few houses down is Unshredded Nostalgia--love the name!--and I went there.
This is one of those quintessential shops that seem to be in every town and hamlet on the east coast--and maybe throughout the country and the world, for all I know.  It's in an old, old storefront, with various artifacts on the pavement outside and in, is filled to bursting with every kind of antique, "collectible," and curiosity known to man.  It's dark (they're always dark) and dusty (that, too) and comes equipped with a proprietor about the same age as many of the wares.
In this case, the owner is Jim, a very congenial guy about 70, I guess.  His big dog, Whathisname, ambled over to sniff me as I asked him to look at my comic books.  He wasn't interested at all in the ones from the seventies, but bought the few older ones at what I guess was a fair price.  We discussed my postcard collection, too, and I'll bring some over to show him today.
Stopped at Shop-Rite for chicken legs (extra large!), which I immediately seasoned and threw in the oven when I got home.  While driving, I conceived the idea of sending some of the comic books to Joel, Jr., and composed a little rhyme on his name.  Wrapped up the five comic books I mentioned and will send them to him today.
I was thrilled last night to get a Skype call from adorable grandson in Tokyo.  He was eating, then finished and I saw him yawning, stretching, "smiling" (oh, I know it's gas, but it's precious) and showing off his other talents.  Can't wait to hold him in my arms.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...