Monday, October 07, 2013

Last Y.S. Day

Last yard sale day and just as well.  I enjoyed it to an extent, especially the selling part, but it was a bit long and drawn out for me.  Didn't sell much yesterday.  In fact, there were many fewer customers than the other days, Friday being the busiest, oddly enough. We packed up about noon, then, at Aline's suggestion, she and I went to John and Sonia's, formerly Beverly's, for lunch. 
Now this is a local little hole-in-the-wall where I haven't been for a good five years, before my husband died.  He used to meet his cronies there, and it was and remains, a local favorite.  It's really an old-fashioned luncheonette with which the country used to abound before MacDonald's and all the other odious big chains bastardized the American palate.  They serve good, homemade (well, luncheonette-made, I guess) food at noticeably low prices.
I had a delicious cheeseburger that was actually made as rare as I like them, served with thick French fries, cole slaw, and lettuce and tomato.  Enjoyed a tall iced tea with it and the bill came to less than nine dollars.  Aline had a BLT--she's had them there before and said they are the best--and just stuck to water.  Her tab?  Four dollars and nine cents.
After, we drove down to Graveling Point, but it was misty and we couldn't see across to Brigantine.  Home, I invited A. in for an Italian ice and we sat and talked for several house, ranging, as we always do, over a variety of topics, including politics and religion, and the excruciating pain of listening to some of the Mystic Shores denizens talk.  Negatives abound, "sez" is common, and any extended discourse (more than two sentences) always--always!--revolves around television shows. 
It's this that makes me pretty much convinced the empire is going down.  It's just impossible to maintain hope that people who take television "news" as gospel truth, believe reality shows are spontaneous, and consider The History Channel akin to academia--it's history, isn't it?--will ever rise up and stop the robber barons and politicians. Oh, sorry, that's redundant.
Took Aline home, put my unsold treasures back, and tidied up.  Loved seeing my now month-old grandson on Google Plus, and enjoyed my weekly Skype visit with Ellen.  Today, I need to turn my attention to preparing for the preliminary meeting with my cast for the December LETCO show.  I scheduled it for Wednesday at my place, but will see if I can get the library or somewhere else instead.    
    

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...