Monday, October 21, 2013

Cabaret

Met Ellen V. at Buckalew's at noon and we settled in for a leisurely lunch.  I helpfully pointed out to our waitress, Sabrina, that Buckalew's beer prices are the highest I've even seen, and she cheerfully acknowledged that.  I was interested to see that they actually list the alcohol content on the menu--why, so you can get sloshed as quickly as possible?
Anyway, most of the draft beers were imported and cost $7.50 a glass.  Hell, no, I wasn't going to pay that, so I had a four-dollar Pabst Blue Ribbon (which I hadn't even known they made anymore).  We both had crab cake sandwiches; the crab cake part was good, but the Kaiser roll too doughy, so I left most.
Show was at 2:00 and when we strolled the block to Surflight, I met up with a lot of Sunrise Bayers: Virginia, Mary, Lillian, and others, some with husbands, some not.
The theatre was jam packed--it may have been sold out--and Cabaret was terrific.  I'm absolutely serious when I say John Reilly, who played the emcee, was better than Joel Grey.  His energy and drive showed an evil intensity that personified the spirit of Nazi Germany.  Besides that, he's an amazing dancer and singer.  John and I performed together in Arsenic, but in that, he was just a fill-in as a police officer in a very small part.  I vaguely knew he sang and danced--almost all of them do in Our Gang--but never realized how incredibly good he is.
During intermission, I was delighted to run into Chris R., who played my sister in Arsenic and we fell on each other happily.  She was there alone--geez, if I had known that, I would have invited her to join us--and we exchanged phone numbers and vowed to meet for lunch some weekend day.
Cabaret was wonderful, but in truth, I thought the movie was better.  The story line was altered for the movie, although the general theme was the same, and to my mind, it was an improvement.  I'm partial to Liza Minelli, too, and frankly thought the girl who played Sally Bowles yesterday was a good singer, but mediocre actor.
We greeted Neil G., who was in it, after, and I also complimented Glenn P., another young guy who had a policeman role in Arsenic and whom I never knew was such a marvelous dancer.  
Didn't get home until after 5:00 and got a message from Sabrina at Buckalew's to the effect that I had accidentally left my BOA credit card there.  Darn!  Now I have to drive all the back and get it, about 20 miles one way. 
Susan called from the hospital with good news: She's fine, all is well, and she's looking forward to going home.  I didn't want to question her too much, so I'm a bit puzzled, but very glad she seems to have been given a clean bill of health.
Talked to Betty and we made a tentative date for lunch today.  

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...