Friday, September 28, 2012

Thrft And Rehearsal

Enjoyable and active days (in my book, that's redundant) continue.  I picked up Aline at noon, first stopping at Flo's, who lives nearby, to have her hem the jeans I just bought.  Found out later we got our signals crossed, as she wasn't home, but will get it done today.
We stopped first at the thrift shop in Tuckerton.  Were not able to find anything, but I left off a flyer for the play.  I suggested Serpico's in Barnegat for lunch and Aline was agreeable.  (Aline is always agreeable and is always up for anything; she's a wonderful companion.)  The restaurant is half a pizza joint and half a more formal setting where I've arranged for Dine-Around in Sunday.
While there, I gave the manager a typed sheet with particulars for the affair.  (As a rule, I don't believe in leaving things to chance and I have 21 people coming.)  I was sorry to have gotten a call from Rae S. to the effect that Sid is back in the hospital, so they had to withdraw. Betty W. asked to add a friend of hers and I agreed.
We had a great lunch, then went to the consignment shop not far away.  I found an almost neon scarf that will go great with my stage outfit and bought it for 3 bucks.  We then went to the Manahawkin thrift shop and Aline got a skirt and I a lacy bed jacket.  (I'm supposed to come downstairs "wrapped in Penny's negligee," but this will serve.)
Dropped A. off and was home by 4:30.  Showered, dressed, and picked her back up for rehearsal at 7:00. 
I was taken aback at the number of absent players, including those in some key roles.  When this happens, Tonya, Barbara, or the script girl, Laura, will read the lines while we play to an empty chair, say, but it's oh-so-disconcerting.  Incredibly, the Rick who plays Ed still read from his script; when in the world will he ever buckle down and get off book?
I left before the third act, but promised to stay for the whole play on Monday and thereafter. 
It's shaping up, I guess, but still needs a WHOLE lot of work.  (At this stage, every play feels this way.  Now that I'm pretty much a veteran, I'm confident it'll come out okay.) 

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...