Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Cape May

We walked with umbrellas yesterday and even cut it short, as Susan was afraid of the lightning.  Although double-bagged, my newspaper was completely soaked, so I drove to Wawa to get another.
As I heard the rain come down, "Ain't no way in the world," I thought sourly, "that the group outing to Cape May is going to happen."  I went on: "In fact, even if it does, who would wanna go?  I'll just forfeit my ten bucks and stay home moping."
To cover my bets, though, I showered, changed, and went to the clubhouse.  There was some talk about scuttling the trip, but the majority decided it was a go, and we went.
Boy, am I glad!  We had a terrific day of lunch--had my fav, a hamburger and a Blue Moon--then the "trolley tour" around town, with a knowledgeable guide to point out interesting sites. The weather had cleared and most of the day, we enjoyed blue skies and sunshine, unlike a lot of the east coast.
This summer, I had been in the outskirts of Cape May twice--when we took the boys to the zoo and on the ferry--but it's been years since I've been in the town proper.  What a lovely place!  I want to go again one of these days--maybe I'll take Aline--and further enjoy the famous Victorian houses, wide beach, and shops and restaurants.
After the trolley ride, we were free to wonder the shopping area, which is closed off to traffic and contains all kinds of little shops.  Yes, they're the usual touristy, outrageously high-priced "art" objects and newly-made junk, but it's still fun to browse.  Mary and I split off for a time, indulged in some  Kohr's soft ice cream, and enjoyed some good talk.     
We left about 4:00, Mary Ann Van O. driving, and were surprised to drive through some heavy rain as we got closer to home.  I think it rained all day here, so we were lucky to have missed it during our excursion.
Shortly after, I enjoyed a call from niece, Joan R., mostly about what I call Those Who Went Before--antecedents, that is.  She has a strong interest in genealogy, as I do.  Of course, lots of people express an interest; they want to hear what's been discovered.  The difference is that Joan's willing to do the work involved to find information.
Anyhoo--I had been somewhat down in the dumps and now, thanks to Cape May and, I guess, my natural buoyancy, I'm back up.
Rehearsal tonight, for which I'll pick up Aline.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...